Sunday 6 July 2014

Byron, oh Byron

Okay, so it's been a while since I posted anything at all, and while I'd like to jazz life up by typing something clever and/or thought provoking, a girl's gotta eat.  So I've eaten, and thought I would share.  (My experience.  Not my food.)

For those of you who haven't noticed, Byron outlets have been popping up all over the place - most notably in London but also in a few other hotspots, from Leeds all the way down to Kent.  Each restaurant (though I've only been to er, four so far) has a slightly different vibe, but they share a kind of rugged, eclectic, retro feel, often encapsulated in quirky counters, naked brickwork and fantastic wallpaper.

Byron do burgers. Wonderful burgers.  Burgers with delicious, perfectly-cooked beef and real, fresh toppings, encased in the perfect burger bun.  There's nothing frivolous or elaborate on the plate when you get it - they don't even come with sides - but that's fine, because there's no point putting lipstick on a pig (or piece of cow) when that pig is beautiful, perfectly-proportioned and gosh-darned delicious just the way it is.  This works both ways; the sides at Byron aren't just for cosmetic value - the skinny fries are a perfect partner if you need your potato complement, and the onion rings might be the finest onion rings I've ever had the pleasure of devouring.  Yes, you might initially feel a bit ripped off at the thought of only getting a burger - but you wanted a burger, right?  Otherwise you wouldn't be here.  The portions are actually just right for you to have a meaty bun to yourself and still share a side with your dining-partner - you altruistic thing, you!
Never feel like a cheapskate again;
"we'll just have the er, 'good white' please"

As ever, the service aspect is just as important as the food itself (in my opinion, anyway), and Byron's staff are consistently good.  No matter what time of day, or how busy the restaurant has been when I've walked in, the team have pitched it just right.  They're warm, efficient and seem genuinely interested in ensuring you enjoy your meal.  Never hovering, never annoying, never false.  It's rare to find a chain that can offer this kind of consistency, so Byron; I metaphorically salute you.
Okay, so this one's actually pulled pork.
I'll snag a photo of the beef next time.

There's not a lot else to say - all Byron does is everything it should; great burgers and a flawless service in a relaxed but tasteful atmosphere.  Having eaten there a bunch of times and been repeatedly impressed, it's one of the few places I would go back to with 100% confidence.  I know there are others out there that could satisfy my needs, and while I'm at this learning curve in my life there's no doubt I'll experiment elsewhere - maybe with some MeatLiquor or even Five Guys - but I'm not sure I'll ever want to really move on from Byron - my first "proper burger" love.

Last things to mention:
  • look out for Byron at festivals - my first taste was a messy but delicious delight from a retro-style trailer with a giant cow on the top at Bestival in 2012
  • A bonus feature in each restaurant is a number of miniature cows, hidden away in corners and on light fittings - easily missed - watching you eat their delicious comrades.
  • check out the specials - often topical (this month's is the "Ronaldo") they're usually something a bit off-beat and only available for a limited time
Yes, the main course was perfectly filling.
No, we didn't regret ordering the brownie.

No comments:

Post a Comment